On February 22nd, 2019, the Tamil Nadu government made it compulsory for rent agreement registration under the Tamil Nadu Regulation of Rights and Responsibilities of Landlords and Tenants Act, 2017. The Act requires both the tenant and owner to register the rental agreement within 90 days from the day of execution with the rent authority.
Also Read: Online Rent Agreement: Legal Validity and Why Use It
Stamp Duty Charges and Documents Required
The stamp duty charges to be paid in Tamil Nadu follow the rule of 1% stamp duty on the total annual rental value. So you can buy stamps of either 1 percent of the total annual rent or Rs 20,000, whichever is lower. This payment can also be made online via generating an online challan receipt.
The documents to be submitted to the sub-registrar’s office include property ownership proof, government ID proof of both landlord and tenant and 2 passport size photographs.
Rent Agreement Registration in Chennai – Process
To facilitate the process of online rent agreement registration in Chennai, it can be completed via an online portal. This official government website lets you complete the process of rent agreement registration online in a speedy and easy manner.
- Visit https://www.tenancy.tn.gov.in/Home/Registration and sign up by providing the necessary information like Name, Taluk, District, Phone Number, etc and complete the process through OTP Verification.
- Login to the portal. Select the Application for Tenancy Agreement from the Housing and Urban Development Department.
- On the directed page, Supporting Documents, Service Description, Application Fee, and How to Apply will be displayed. Click ‘Proceed’ from the bottom of the page.
- On the directed page THB-401 Registration of Tenancy, you have to fill in all the necessary details.
- Some of the details to be filled in include, Landlord Details, Property Manager Details, Tenant Details, Tenancy Premises Details, etc.
- Next, you have to upload the required Supporting Documents like Sale Deed, Aadhar Card, Power of Attorney, etc.
- The final step in the online rent agreement registration in Chennai is making the online payment. Once the transaction is completed, you will be able to view the receipt of payment.
Also Read: How to Renew the Rent Agreement in Mumbai